September 7, 2013

Confessions of a Jaded Geek: 4/30

Day 4 of the 30-Day D&D Challenge asks for your favorite game setting.

I can’t really answer this in D&D terms, as our BECMI games were always set in Mystara, and I never got to join an AD&D game long enough to tell whether we were in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms. They were all vanilla Tolkien-clone worlds to me, still more fun than the real world, but still lacking the exoticism I craved. My first taste of a setting that had a distinguishable personality was Oriental Adventures, which our DM Augs adapted to work with AD&D 2e.

I remember OA more for John’s comedic takeoffs on Kurosawa’s Ran and the Seven Samurai than anything else, though, and the really bad interlingual puns. We had a samurai named Fugu Zushi, a lord named Tokuwa Babuyasu, a wandering samurai or ronin named Mukahito Mustashi, and of course John’s renowned Itchi Bayagi of the Bayagyu Clan!

We never got to have an Al-Qadim game, which I’m sure I would’ve loved, nor did I ever get to join a Ravenloft game. In the end, the most D&D-like setting I liked was Chaosium’s Pagan Shore, the medieval Ireland supplement for Pendragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...