September 15, 2013

Confessions of a Jaded Geek: 12/30

Day 12 of the 30-day D&D Challenge asks about your favorite dungeon or adventure location.

I’m really glad the Cabazor brothers had the complete BECMI set, and later AD&D 2e, as I quickly found that my fun lay in the wilderness settings, not dungeons. We got a lot of utility from the Expert rules.

I’ve never been fond of mazes, and the idea of gratuitously placed ruins stashed with gratuitously placed lootable objects tended to strain my sense of disbelief. I’d rather have my player characters struggling with crossing a river in full spring flood, or scrambling to avoid a wild animal stampede, than dealing with dungeon traps.  If ever I placed a dungeon, it wouldn’t consist of too many rooms and levels. And I prefer placing foes to traps.

If I ever get to run an Al Qadim game or something similar, though, I’d like to run a mostly urban mini-series (I don’t have the time anymore for long campaigns, alas). It would be a great challenge to create a fantasy Arabian Nights city the players can get to know and attached to, with lots of special little sub-locations and NPCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...