March 9, 2013

Quick Rice Pilaf with Orange

It’s been a while since I  posted a Fire n’ Forget recipe, but tonight I made one of wifey’s favorites and she suggested I share it. I was planning to serve my beef kababs with pita bread, but to my bemusement I found pizza crusts, not pita bread, in my freezer. Yoicks! What’s a quick and easy Plan B that will go with the kababs? I decided on a rice pilaf. We also happened to have some oranges in the ref, so I decided to use them.

Here’s a recipe to feed 4-5 persons:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups uncooked rice
  • 1 cup fresh orange juice
  • 5 cups water
  • zest from oranges, about 1-2 tbsp
  • 3 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • pinch cumin powder
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 1-2 tsp butter

Method
My method for cooking pilaf quickly is to use a rice cooker and microwave.  First, dissolve the bouillon cubes in a cup or two of water by warming it gently in the microwave – I use the Medium setting. Don’t make the water boil, it will spill over.

Then wash the rice in the rice cooker’s pot, then drain. Add the bouillon stock, remaining water, orange juice and spices. Add butter.  Place in rice cooker and let it cook. Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...