September 25, 2012

Gettin’ Some Two-Fisted Pulpy Love

JukePop-coverA deliberately kinky blog post title, but apt, I think, for what I’ll be talking about: James Hutching’s The Case of the Syphilitic Sister on JukePop Serials.

I earlier received Hutching’s The New Death and Others, which I liked for the Dunsany-ish vibe of its stories and poetry, but Case of the Syphilitic Sister surprised me by going in a very different direction, this time emulating the style and tone of 1930’s pulps. 

I’ll have to hand it to Hutchings – he got me where my weakness lies, but with enough modern touches that the reading feels new.  I particularly like Hutchings’ riff on the superhero crimefighter team, a la The Shadow and his confreres, but with a very modern twist in the handling of identities. 

That novelty and curiosity about the title case is enough to keep me following the serial, though I do have to say there are some rough spots in the writer’s changes of viewpoint character.  Well, it’s a serial, so it won’t be difficult to improve the suceeding chapters.  It’s really great fun to have pulp-style serials back though.  Yep, it’s 2012, an era has ended according to the Mayan calendar, and the good stuff is back.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for plugging my serial.

    Yours,
    James.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...