August 22, 2012

In a Maranao Antique Shop

IMG_0995

After shooting the street parade during the Kadayawan Festival, I retreated from the enervating heat into the Aldevinco native crafts arcade.  Spotting some beautifully incised brassware, I entered a shop called Omar’s Antiques – and this rack of vintage kris  was staring me right in the face! Note the use of old coins to decorate the scabbard of the kris at top right.

IMG_0996

Wonderful carved scabbard for a kampilan, 5th from left.

IMG_1004

Ivory pommel on a silver hilt, brass collars on the scabbard. This kris must’ve belonged to a noble, or a successful warrior.

IMG_1003

I don’t know what the sword above is, it looks like some kind of saber but the hilt seems to be the tip of an elephant or walrus tusk. 

IMG_1006

A selection of kris hilts. I just love the art of the southern Philippine peoples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...