May 9, 2012

Khorajan Ribs

the_savage_sword_of_conan_2_16_0001

Aye, I’ll admit it – I failed to take a pic of the recipe I made, because the smell of it drove wifey and me mad with hunger! That, and the fact that I was playing a Conan the Barbarian-based M&B mod all the while that the ribs were cooking, the aroma wafting up from the kitchen stealing into and taking over my brain.

Why Khorajan? Howard, Conan’s creator, had a fascination with medieval Middle Eastern history, particularly  the Crusader States, and Khoraja was one of the settings he patterned after it.  Khoraja’s culture was thus a mix of Hyborian and Shemitish, just as the states of Edessa and the Kingdom of Jerusalem had mixed Norman-Arabic-Jewish culture.  The flavor of these ribs will likewise recall just such an interchange of influences.

Ingredients

  • 1 slab baby back ribs (about 500-800g)
  • 3 tbsp roasted bell peppers, pureed*
  • 1 tbsp coriander seed
  • 1 tsp thyme (I used dried)
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1-2 tsp cayenne
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • salt to taste

*I found a bottle of roasted bell peppers in olive oil at my grocery the other day.  If you can’t get this, you can roast the bell peppers yourself until they begin to char, peel and deseed them, and puree the pulp with 1 tbsp olive oil.

Procedure
Combine the roasted bell pepper puree with all other ingredients below it, then rub into the meat.  Bake for about 50 minutes at around 275-300F.  Enjoy, preferably with a rice pilaf and some dark beer!

Go ahead, indulge.  Crom and Ishtar will approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...