December 13, 2011

Remembering Basil Poledouris

Say what you will about Ahhhnold’s acting, but John Milius’ Conan the Barbarian will always remain an iconic movie for me.  Not least among those reasons is the thundering, gloriously operatic score composed for it by Basil Poledouris.  Listen, ye mortals, and despair!

Enses, enses requirimus, requirimus saevos nos.
Swords, we seek swords, savage ones.
Nos ferrei reges, servi Fati.
We, iron kings, servants of Doom.
Vale caelum, vale terra, vale nivis, morimur!
Farewell, heaven; farewell, earth; farewell, snow; we die!
Vale, morimur servis Fati!
Farewell, for, the servants of Doom, we die!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I'd never actually been able to make out the words before, let alone seen the translation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd always wondered what they were chanting too til I found these. The song sounds even more badass now that I understand the lyrics! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...