November 9, 2011

Recipes for Gamers: Rosemary-Crusted Roast Pork

"Sometimes, when you're a man, you get this urge to wear stretchy pants." -- Jack Black, Nacho Libre.

_MG_3421square

And I say, sometimes, when you're a man, you get this urge for Meat.  Specifically, roasted meat.  This urge is always swimming just at the edge of my consciousness, ready to surface like a Great White when I smell a barbecue on a charcoal grill, or, as happened earlier, I saw a nice cut of meat.  When I saw these ribs earlier today, I knew just what I wanted to do with them.  And yes, a diet of this will eventually necessitate stretchy pants.  What the heck.  It's good.

INGREDIENTS
1 slab baby back ribs/other roasting cut (about 600+ g)
1 tsp+ rock salt
1 tsp black pepper, coarse ground
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Italian Seasoning herbs
2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp olive oil

PROCEDURE
Wash and pat dry the meat.  (There are some barbecue gurus who say don't wash meat.  I say, wait til you see the overfed flies in a typical supermarket, even the good ones, and you'l change your mind.) 

Combine all the rub ingredients in a bowl, mix thoroughly, and rub onto the meat.  Make sure to massage it in well.  Drizzle the meat with olive oil; this will help keep it from going dry, and make the rub crust up nicely.

Bake for 1 hour at 300 F, and for a final 15 minutes at 450 F to brown. 

Notes:
Seems the panko was really effective in keeping the juices in.  This was good without garlic, which I avoided because I was afraid garlic in the crust would burn and go bitter.  Next time, and when I have a big enough stock of olive oil, I'll make some garlic oil for cooking.  That way I can get the garlic flavor without fear of burning it.

4 comments:

  1. FWIW, I think this would be just fine as far as weight is concerned. The only thing I see here that isn't paleo/primal friendly (both of which do wonders for weight loss and weight control) is the breadcrumbs. A purist might suggest omitting the salt. However, 'meat, herbs, spices, and olive oil' is healthy food, by and large.

    I've done something similar. Fairly similar rub on a pork roast, put a bit of garlic in the roast (slivered, then cut and push garlic in... you really don't need much), let sit for a while, the put on the rotisserie over fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading this guy's theory (forgot the name, it was on Readers' Digest) about taking fats to satisfy your fat cravings and cutting the carbs instead. I guess that's an excuse to have more of this roast, and simply omit the rice or potatoes or bread ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Robert Atkins is probably the most famous (the "Atkins Diet" was really popular around here for a while, but I don't like it's dietary emphasis -- too much protein, and it's almost all on 'carbs are bad').

    I've been following Primal Blueprint, which is close to Paleo (if you're looking for references). In both cases they advise dropping grain (and a few other food types) because we aren't really evolved to handle them well. They largely amount to a low carb diet, but have a much higher emphasis on vegetables, and both allow moderate use of 'natural sugars' (such as maple syrup and honey).

    Your body requires a certain amount of fuel (number of calories per day). This mostly comes from either carbs (which your body probably isn't really good at dealing with) or fat (which your body actually is quite good at dealing with, and doesn't jackhammer your insulin production).

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, hey, I just remembered. I've gotten some good mileage out of coconut flour. Replace the panko crumbs with that (may need to apply beaten egg to the meat first -- not sure if they'll stick without it, I've done it that way with chicken) and it's cool for me again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...