October 18, 2011

Recipes for Gamers: Chinese Chicken Wings

This lecipe fingah-leekin’ good, yes?  My sister in law is half-Chinese, and this is one of the recipes she got from her dad and passed on to me.  Caution: after serving this recipe, herd all  players to washroom and insist they completely de-gunk their hands before resuming play!  I love the sticky glaze this leaves on the wings, but not on my dice!

Ingredients
For the chicken wings:

  • 1.5 kg chicken wings
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash black pepper
  • 2 tbsp corn starch/corn flour

For the glaze:

  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
  • 1 tsp ginger, chopped fine
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp red cane or rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice wine, or rum, or scotch, or cognac*
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds
  • oil for deep-frying

*My dad often receives gifts of scotch or cognac, so we’ve always got some on hand.  This is just to say any strong spirits seem to work with this dish, as long as they have some sugars.

Procedure
Coat the wings with salt, pepper and corn starch/corn flour.  Deep-fry until light golden brown.  Drain and set aside.

Combine vinegar, soy sauce, rice wine and sugar in bowl and set aside.

Saute garlic and ginger in a wok until fragrant.  Add sesame seeds, let toast for about a minute, then add the liquids you mixed earlier.  Allow to reach a rolling boil without stirring, and allow to boil at high heat until the sauce no longer smells too vinegary.

Add in the chicken wings and toss in the wok at medium-low heat until the glaze dries on the chicken wings.

Even Simpler Method
There’s an alternative and even faster way to make this.  I prefer the first method, but when in a hurry, this also works.  Combine the glaze ingredients and marinade the chicken wings in it.  Then bake for about 30 minutes at 350 F.

3 comments:

  1. this sounds really good, and like something I really shouldn't eat (sugars, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ack! sorry to hear that. are you diabetic? i've also done this with a little pineapple juice instead of vinegar, and much less sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not diabetic, but there's a history of it in my family. More to the point, I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm trying to stick to a simple "meat, vegetables, and water" diet. This largely precludes sauces (though I do have an acceptable gravy[1]) and definitely precludes anything to do with corn. I don't usually have fruit juice any more, though I do occasionally eat fruit.

    [1] bust up some bell pepper and some celery and put under the meat before roasting. Remove meat, remove fat from pan but leave other liquids, then puree and reduce. Works great for turkey and chicken (best turkey gravy I've ever had), but I don't always get enough juice out of beef.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...