I’ve just realized something: there’s a way to help new players, particulary non-Filipino players, get more easily into the setting of Hari Ragat. Let the player group create their own domain.
Instead of character creation first, the players must first sketch out, in pretty broad strokes, what their characters’ home and community are like. This lets the players explore the tropes and adventuring possibilities of the setting, and create compelling reasons for their characters to matter in the setting.
I could probably have two options for domain creation, method one being negotation and consensus with the GM, and method two can be using dice for random results. The following details should result:
- Homebase – where the characters live
- Territory – what the characters’ community holds in terms of land and sea access
- Key Figures – the Datu or Raja ruling the domain, community members of interest, which can then be taken as family, mentors, or even rivals of the PCs during character creation
- Perks – what the people of this domain are known for. Maybe they’re good with bows. Maybe they’re great navigators. The players should feel their characters are cooler for being part of this domain
- Issues – at least one, preferably more, issues that this domain must deal with. Wild animal infestations, a marauding raksasa giant, blood feud with a neighbor – all is grist for the story mill.